PEng, CEM, CMVP, BEMP, LEED®AP, MSc
Salah Mahdi is a registered Professional Engineer with APEG-BC in British Columbia, Canada. He has more than 13 years’ experience in engineering consulting in Vancouver. He carries a Bachelor’s degree (1993) and a Master’s degree (1997) in Mechanical Engineering. He is recognised by the Canadian Green Building Council (CaGBC), Natural Resources Canada (NRCan), and BC Hydro as an expert energy modeller and reviewer.He is an ASHRAE-certified Building Energy Modelling Professional (BEMP), an AEE-certified Measurement and Verification Professionals (CMVP), and a LEED Accredited Professional (LEEP®AP).In addition to doing energy modelling for design/cost optimization analyses, Salah delivered many successful submissions of energy compliance modelling under LEED, BC Hydro, and NRCan for diverse types of new construction projects. He completed many third-party reviews of energy modelling projects for LEED, BC Hydro, and P3 project bid. Also, he completed M&V projects for BC Hydro and Fraser Health Authority.
2011 - Present | President at EnEta (Port Coquitlam, BC)
- Energy study reviews for BC Hydro’s Power Smart New Construction program.
- Third-party reviews of LEED-Canada (v1.0 and 2009) energy models.
- LEED energy models for credit EAc1.
- Measurement and Verification projects (for BC Hydro and for Bouygues Construction).
- Simulation software: IES; eQUEST; EE4; HAP; Trace; EnergyPlus; RETScreen; VisualDOE; EnergyPro; EnvStd.
2003 - 2011 | Sustainable Building Specialist (Vancouver, BC)
- Sustainable Building Specialist· Recognized as one of the most experienced energy analysts in the company.
- Spearheaded the energy modelling services of the Vancouver office by conducting and supervising a majority of the energy analysis projects.
- Served as the company’s technical advisor for energy analysis by offering support to Stantec’s offices in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Toronto, Seattle, and San Francisco.
- Successfully delivered energy models of three Olympic ice rink facilities: Richmond Oval, Killarney, and Trout Lake.
- Successfully earned Natural Resources Canada approval for five CBIP incentive applications, including commercial, institutional, health care, and educational buildings.
- Developed advanced experience in understanding and modelling complex systems using advanced building simulation software: IES Virtual Environment; eQUEST; Visual DOE; EnergyPro; EE4; EE Wizard; RETScreen; and HOT2000.
- Increased the number of successful energy compliance submissions by setting in-house standards and templates to streamline the modelling and documentation tasks.
- Prepared and delivered several presentations and training workshops at Stantec offices in Vancouver, Kelowna, and Calgary.
- Worked with University co‑op students as a mentor and supervisor from 2005 to 2010.
2000 - 2003 | Mechanical Designer (Vancouver, BC)
- Demonstrated exceptional performance in conducting load and energy analyses of HVAC systems, by providing time-effective and accurate calculations to many of the design teams at Cobalt.
- Successfully completed HVAC designs for many tenant improvement projects and three new construction projects in Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island.
- Developed strong understanding of how systems function and how they are controlled to meet design intents.
- Selected as Cobalt’s first LEED® coordinator, responsible for coordinating and documenting most of the credits and prerequisites for Cobalt’s first two LEED® certified projects (UBC-TEF3 ; and Semiahmoo Library).
- Provided a major contribution to establishing Cobalt’s standards of HVAC load calculations to avoid operation problems related to equipment over-sizing.
- AEE Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
- AEE Certified M&V Professional (CMVP)
- ASHRAE Certified Building Energy Modeling Professional (BEMP)
- BC Hydro Approved Energy Modeler
- LEED Approved Energy Modeler and Reviewer
- LEED Accredited Professional
- B.Sc. And M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering